Saturday, July 24, 2010

Rod Nilsestuen's Legacy as a Learning Leader

Rod Nilsestuen, a hard working and respected Wisconsin citizen, died this week. Much has been written about his humanity and his contributions to his state and community. I believe that Rod Nilsestuen was a life long learner. He was curious and willing to ask questions without fear that he would be thought stupid. Rod often poked fun at his Norwegian heritage and its supposed limits on intellectual capacity. Perhaps this was his way of opening the opportunity to ask the "stupid" question and learn more about the subject. I think Rod understood that a genuine humility about what we know and what we have yet to learn is a key capacity of leadership. I believe that Rod's humanity and leadership that was celebrated throughout his life was an appreciative response to our knowing he was learning all the time. Not only learning but willing to grant the role of teacher to nearly everyone he encountered

We will miss Rod Nilsestuen in many ways. I will miss him most as a leader who was willing to say "I don't know, tell me what you know about that". The capacity to say I don't know seems in very short supply these days. That shortage is made greater by limiting those we acknowledge as having something to teach us. I hope many of us can honor Rod by encouraging leaders to show us they know they don't always know and they are excited to get to work learning from anyone who can help them understand the complex world around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment